Hi, thanks for the help of all of you.

Yes, I'm pre-calculating things. In the data orchestration process I'm involved
in, I can usually estimate the time of a rendering based on the number of rows
I'm processing. It is a linear process and the processing time is typically not
much affected as a function of the size of each line.

The files have an average of several gigabytes in size. Some have tens of
millions of lines. Knowing the amount of lines before processing guarantees
some interesting benefits to the user.

I'm lucky because the data is on an SSD server... I already had a performance
gain using the tips provided by @cblake (using import memfiles).

All the best AN