> * The Nim code isn't in a main procedure
>
> * The C++ code is using int s (32 bits) while Nim is using int s (64 bits).
> Nim's int type is always the size of a pointer, so you can use it for
> indexing arrays. The difference in size between those types means that the
> Nim program is processing twice as much data.

The 32 bit / 64 bit made a noticeable difference - that was an excellent
suggestion. I looked around for a nice way to enforce changes to all my
literals and types, and found an example
[here](https://forum.nim-lang.org/t/1267#19038) by @Araq that I've modified to
be more generic. I love that nim supports this! I may rework it and submit it
as a module since it's so useful.