I like these ideas very much but Nim can't innovate on all fronts at the same
time. I'm also a big fan of Mathematica, programming based on this silly
"sequence of bytes" notion should have died a decade ago. But it didn't.

So my hope is that editors let us get further and further away from the "source
code _text_ " idea until people are comfortable with the idea that an editor is
not about typing `:s/.*/<p>\r&\r<\/p>/` and we can store code in a much better
format.

> I could imagine a database that stores hash -> serialized Nim AST, which can
> detect structured changes and then feed into the compiler api + HCR to allow
> similar results.

Sounds roughly similar to what "incremental compilation" will bring to Nim.