-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Andrew Moise
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2006 12:38 PM
To: Olle Mulmo
Cc: nistnet@antd.nist.gov; Jonathon Exley
Subject: Re: [nistnet] What does NISTNet as a router mean ?

On 11/15/06, Olle Mulmo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I believe the question was: will/can I get the expected result from
having a
> test setup consisting of 3 "normal" computers (i.e. 3 NICs and a
separate
> switch) and a bit of routing configuration magic?
>
> Or in any case, that's my question. :-)

  FWIW, we're using a setup like this (just set it up yesterday), and
it seems to be working well for us.  Our procedure was:

   * Our main network is 10.1.1.0/24.
   * Set up a Linux machine on that network with one NIC and two
aliased interfaces (10.1.1.30 and 10.2.2.1).
   * Enable IP forwarding on the Linux machine.
   * Configure a static route in our gateway router to route traffic
for 10.2.2.0/24 to 10.1.1.30.
   * Configure machines with a 10.2.2.0/24 address if we want them to
be affected by the artifically-lagged nistnet setup.

  That seems to be working well for us.  The killer advantage is that
it doesn't take physically recabling the network in order for people
to put their machines into the "lagged" environment; this is often
nontrivial and would involve non-technicians poking around in patch
panels and whatnot (or take up valuable IT time), which is obviously
not the right thing to do.
  I'll let you know if we see any problems with this setup.