Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where there are too many
possible variables ... I'm using NistNet successfully on RedHat WS 3.0.
Others report success on this list on other distributions. I'd encourage
you to review the list to find a working distribution you find acceptable
for your organization and use that.

Debugging kernel code (something I've not done for 12 years) is not for
the faint of heart. In my day to day life, my peers and I encounter
variations between patch updates to RH versions in which our application
fails for some data streams and our code is all application layer.

Good luck.