From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 2007年12月4日 16:11
To: Stephen Wang
Cc: nistnet@antd.nist.gov
Subject: Re: [nistnet] [Help] - NISTNET occupy lots of soft interrupts while traffic up

Stephen,

   It could be that if youre system receives an interrupt for every packet

that is received and send. It is bound to choke at some point. You

could try to enable NAPI in the kernel. Which switches from interrupts

to polling when a certain level of interrupts is met. However you will

get some clustering of the send packets. i.e. the send inter packet

delay will vary somewhat more than with the interrupts.

Ernst

 Dear NISTNET Supporter

 I have been experiencing problems when testing NISTNET with Smartbit

 6000C. Could you please help?  Thanks in advance.

 Test Platform

  _____________<_____________

    | eth1                                      | eth0

 NISTNet server                       SmartBit 6000B

    | eth2                                      | eth3

    ------------------------>----------------------

 Smartbit(6000B) :  2¡Á1000M SX fiber

 NISTNET Server:   2 x 3.2GHz CPU (Dual Core),  4G RAM,  2 ¡ÁHP NC373F PCI

 Express Gigabits

 Red Hat Linux Kernel: 2.6.13

 NISTNET:  2.0.12c

 IP£º

 eth0 = 10.100.10.14/24

 eth1 = 10.100.10.15/24

 eth2 = 10.100.20.15/24

 eth3 = 10.100.20.14/24

 Test Strategy

 Smartbit sends IP packet from eth0 to eth3; NISTNET server starts the IP

 Forwarding; Meanwhile NISTNET injects delay.

 1.       Don¡¯t start NISTNET, drive through 800Mbps traffic from eth0, on

 NISTNET server, with ¡°top¡± command see that ksoftirqd/0 process takes up

 almost 99% CPU, about 0.01 % packet loss are seen on

 eth3,

 2.       Start NISTNET, inject delay,jitter  cnistnet ¨Ca 10.100.10.14

 10.100.20.14 add new ¨Cdelay 15 5

 The traffic exceeds 350Mbps, with ¡°top¡± command we see that SI (soft

 interrupt) of CPU increasing dramatically. And even the server will go

 down.

 Enquiry

 Why NISTNET will occupy so many SI resources of CPU when traffic is up?

 Any ideas to improve?

 Thanks

 Stephen

 --

 This message has been scanned for viruses and is believed to be clean