Andrew,

By "open source" are you really thinking "open source code" or "free"?

reason i ask is that I have actually been having very good luck with VMware
Server 2.0 (just officially released recently) on Windows and Linux host
systems (free licenses).  I have a mix of linux and windows guest VMs as
well.  I too have heard of some performance problems with Xen-based stuff
(though I have not tried Xen myself).  Sun opened up Virtual Box and I have
heard tell it is on par with VMWare, but, again, no direct experience
myself.  I started off with VMWare Server 1.x and I can say that, despite a
more complex admin frontend (essentially equated with the VMware ESX
environment), the guest VMs do appear to perform better themselves.  And,
under linux, the Firefox "console plugin" seems to work very well.  You can
also pull in the windows .net based Virtual Infrastructure Client for a
windows-based GUI and it works fairly well too.

So, if you are looking for a free-to-use-for-whatever solution mainly,
VMWare probably is the best overall in polish.  On a related note, I read
they made the entry-level ESX framework (ESXi) freely available too.  It is
based on Redhat Linux 7.2 and is a dedicated server install.  So, if you
want to gain ESX experience, it might be a way for you as well.

All this assuming you aren't seeking an open source solution for the sake
of it having open source!  :-)

good luck

mark

--On Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:24 PM -0600 andrew mcelroy