You might snag a copy of the Riley's UNIX Backup book by Curtis Preston
(and a few more).  I was working
with him when he wrote the first edition.  It has several reviews and
DIY scripts available
there and on his old backupcentral.com web site.  Since he sold out, it
might have moved.
If this is for a big $$ company, hire Curtis for a consulting gig, and
tell him I sent you.
I think he is still in Calif, but that was years ago.