On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:58 AM, kswan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am looking into methods of setting up online backups for a small
> business file server running Ubuntu server.  This will be for backups
> of the data, not the OS.
>
> Requirements:
> Completely automated backups
> Encrypted data in online storage and during transmission
> Incremental upload so we don't have to upload the whole dataset each
> backup
> Frequency: daily
>
> I am considering using storage on a hosting account via FTP or using
> Amazon S3.  curlftpfs and s3fs look interesting.

I suggest to avoid using storage on a hosting account unless you have
a dedicated server.  If you're on a shared server, you're likely to
use enough disk space to cause trouble.

> This article (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9880) looks like an
> interesting solution.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions on this will be appreciated.

When I recently asked about backups for my home network[0], I ended up
going with BackupPC.  It's great for me, but might not work for you if
you have to transfer over a slow link.  The biggest benefits have been
in storage savings on the backup server and ease of recovery of single
files or directories without having to download 5-10GB archive files.

Another option that I haven't seen mentioned is http://rsync.net/
I think they meet all of your requirements and they're friendly to
Open Source.  I haven't used them, but maybe someone on the list has
and can offer their experiences.  You might also be interested in
their FAQ[1]

[0]
http://groups.google.com/group/nlug-talk/browse_thread/thread/b2c99ca48e3b298a
[1] http://www.rsync.net/resources/faq.html