Jonathan Moore wrote:
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Perkins, Jerry<je...@jperkins.us> wrote:

  I have a number Linksys WRT54Gs router / WiFi units.
  Would like to turn off the DHCP, hence turning these boxes into a
switch / access point for the network.   From what I understand you can
not do that with the standard firmware , but it is possible with Tomato.
  Am I on the right track?

All you do is disable DHCP.  As far as I know, you can still do that.
I *know* you
can do that on WRT54G and WRT54GL, the GS might be different, but I wouldn't
think so.

If you want them just as a switch, don't use the port labeled WAN obviously.

However, loading tomato or such does give you a bit more options as far
as configuration goes, and might be worth the effort anyways.

   I have been a failure at that.   Must be something missing.   Here is the configuration (some parts snipped out)

Notes:

  Gateway is 192.168.15.2

 Plugin 12v only.
 Reset: Three seconds on reset.
 Access: LAN port #1(?) 192.168.1.1, User empty, Password admin.
 Administration:
     Management:
       Local Area Access:  Set password
       Remote Router Access: Enable, port 8080
       Access Server = HTTP
       Wireless Access web = Enable
       Remote management = Enable
 Wireless:
   Basic Wireless Settings:
     Wireless Network Mode = Mixed
     Wireless Network Name  (SSID) = OSL
     Wireless SSID Broadcast: = Enable
 Setup
   DDNS
     DDNS Service: Disable
   Advanced Routing
       Operating Mode = Routing.
       Dynamic Routing = Disabled
   Basic Setup
     Internet setup:
       Internet Configuration Type = DHCP
       Router Name = OSL-<Last four MAC #>
       Host (Device) Name = WiFi-<Last four MAC #>
     Network Setup:
       Local IP Address = 192.168.15.1
       DHCP Server = Disable
       FAILS AT THIS POINT.
     Time Setting:  Central

--
Jerry Perkins - http://jperkins.us/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world
   - those who understand binary and those who don't.