Thanks, John - but what I'm trying to do is determine whether the user has
entered the right password - and since they don't have shells, I need
something that doesn't attempt an actual login.

As to the written authorization, being root on the system, I'd have to
authorize myself (in writing, presumably).

No shady underhanded stuff going on - it's part of what will be a password
change page.

Curt