The only way I know not to have a shell.. ie /bin/false or /bin/sh in /
etc/group is to use scp access only. If there is no shell you can't
login because a login shell is not being used. I did this on a server
were it was https/scp access only to send files. Then it https: with a
directory tree to download files.

Vi^3PP