There are lots of 'how-to' articles on setting up apache, mysql, etc.,
and an SMTP server. You have been given good advice on the others but
the mail server depends on what your purpose is.

First let me sidestep the flames before they start. Only qmail is
bullet proof. It may be the least problematic after setup, too. (It's
good enough for google.) I make these statements from experience, not
emotion. I set up a Sendmail server two weeks ago because the client
wanted it. They were not in a position to alter course so I set it up.
No biggie.

If you just want to set one up to see the wheels turn and the bits
flow, go find something like qmail rocks and follow the directions
word for word. Last time I looked it would produce a nice mail server.

If you want to learn how they work, start with Dave Sill's site;
lifewithqmail.org/ and read it thoroughly before starting an
installation. Follow the directions and use google to help you figure
out what things mean as you read. If google does not help read
qmail.org and when all else fails ask for help there. Save it for a
last resort.

After you have qmail playing well, and you understand it go set up a
sendmail box. Learn it well enough to discuss it. Then Exim, Postfix
and of course that Microsoft one.

When you get out of rehab come back and tell us which you liked best.