On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 18:26 -0500, Howard White wrote:

> I keep telling folks that I don't do Windows.  I do like to eat, however...
>
> New customer, prospective phone system sale.  Recently added new office
> computers, but not total replacement.  They have an external, USB
> connected, hard disk that they wish to share; connected to the new W7
> machine.  W7 machines may get the share but the remaining Vista machine
> cannot.  Much Google searching has yet to yield conclusive answers; many
> posts complaining of same problem, uh, differently.  I have neither
> Vista nor W7 with which to test.
>
> Before I came home to research, I suggested they connect the USB hard
> drive to the Vista machine to see if W7 could link to that.  Some
> postings seem to support this hypothesis.
>
> Would appreciate more than wild guesses as a basis for solution.
>
> Howard

Win7 uses a new "feature" called HomeGroups. These have their own name &
password-type authentication to "ensure" that the requesting machine has
rights to whatever share is on the Win7 box. You might want to check and
see if this has been set up on the Win7 box as this could lock out the
others.

Jim Peterson