I think what i'm seeing here is a mix of problems and kudos.  Seems
like AT&T and Comcast have pretty much the same fail rate and progress
rate.  The problem here is... AT&T and Comcast are our only options
and why can't we, the consumer, allow another entity to come in... say
Verizon to sort of bump up the competitiveness.

Personally, i've been a Comcast subscriber since 1989 (viacom,
whatever) and have had just internet service since 1999.  The house
i'm living in has been wired up for cable since 1982-93.  I've had one
major problem with comcast and it was only because of the Pole to
house wire and ever sicne then i've had zero problems out of my
internet line.  I don't have cable tv service because frankly I don't
need it, i can download anything I wish to watch.  My comcast bill has
roughly stayed the same (57.95), I get excellent pings to my WoW
servers (42ms to one, 83ms to another), and while $58 may seem
excessive for just internet, I use it for a lot of things (skype
phone, torrents, web work, etc).  I can't say i've never had a problem
with Comcast, but with a bit of patience and persistance, i've managed
to keep my internet connection stable.

Personally, i'd suggest to the OP to take out any splitters, run a new
cable from the outside to the cable modem.  Reset the cable modem, and
try again.  Also, release your IP from the cable modem, spoof a MAC
address, and renew DHCP lease with comcasst to get another IP address
and hopefully new gateway.

The way comcast looks at it is, ok, your neighbors, are they having
troubles?  No, then it must be isolated and it is customer fault.  So
before you call them next, ensure that it is not customer fault and
then explain your troubleshooting method to a knowledgeable tech.  It
took me a few times to get a tech that knew what they were talking
about.