Another thing that happened to me once, back in my sysadmin days, is that a
drive controller went bad and started writing data onto the wrong hard drive
tracks.  The backup system was working correctly, and didn't report any errors,
but the data was already corrupted before it was backed up.  Once I figured out
what was going on, and replaced the faulty hardware, I then had to restore
data, check if it was good, restore the previous day's backup, etc.  Two weeks
back, I finally found reliable data.  Then, all of the transactions done in
that two-week period had to be re-entered, frequently meaning that we had to
have customers send us orders again, while making sure that old orders didn't
get double-shipped and any new orders DID get shipped.  It took a month, with
most of the company's employees putting in overtime, before we were completely
up-to-date.