On 08/17/2010 04:18 PM, Richard Thomas wrote:

It's hard to find a valid argument against using hard-drives over tape.
Howeber, there's something about the idea of how little there is to go
wrong with tape, no electronics etc. The only problem is that what there
is there to go wrong seems to go wrong far too often.

I have to say, online backups are likely the way forward. Of course,
that's just backing up to HD in another skin but if you have the
bandwidth available, why be messing with hardware?

I recently gave a presentation to a senior group at the Robertson County YMCA about computer backups. One slide had the title "The Perfect Media." The group responded before I even got to the punch line: "there isn't one!!"

We may all be reasonably agreed that backup is like voting in Chicago - do it early, often and to different media and destinations.

Howard