it sounds like you have had some kind of hardware failure.  no matter what
after a reboot if your cd/dvd rom drive were sound and you had known good
media to boot from hd or no hd it should have booted.  It sounds to me like
at the very least you have a bad (or at least going downhill) optical drive.

I can't guess as to what the OpenSuse did, but with bad hw anything is
possible.

-Todd

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Paul Boniol <paul.bon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is more of a gripe, no help really needed.
>
> I thought I was doing good, but ended up really screwing things up.  I
> was trying to upgrade a openSUSE box and have a backup of the original
> just in case things went terribly wrong.
>
> I put in another hard drive of the same size, booted from DVD, rescue,
> dd the old hard drive (now sdb) to new (now sda), I triple checked
> that I got it right (made sure it didn't accidentally copy the wrong
> way).  Everything is good.  Two copies of the install, all is well.
>
> Of course dd took quite a bit longer than I planned.  So when it got
> done, I immediately rebooted and began the upgrade.  OpenSUSE DVD
> found both hard drive installs and asked which I wanted to upgrade, so
> I told it sda.  The upgrade ... not sure what was going on but it took
> about 3 or more times longer than it estimated, every time I checked
> (and there were about four packages it couldn't read off the DVD).
> Finally finished upgrading the packages, but then it had a problem
> installing grub.
>
> Fine I think, if it doesn't work I'll just pull the upgraded
> ("backup") hard drive and boot from the original.
>
> I don't know what the upgrade did, but it screwed up the original HD
> as well (hopefully only grub, but I am mentally prepared for whatever
> at this point).  I'm still working on it, but now the computer won't
> boot from the DVD (or HD), after several attempts...  (Not sure why it
> won't boot from DVD now.  It is about a 5 year old computer...
> possible it just went bad.)
>
> I knew I should have pulled the original HD after backup, but thought
> it should be fine since nothing pointed to sdb, and I told it to
> upgrade sda.
>
> I chalk it up to another lesson learned.  Perhaps this may help
> someone avoid the same fate.
>
> Paul Boniol

-Todd