I would suggest disconnecting the second drive and then try loading the
box.  It has been quite a while, but I seem to recall having that same
battle many months ago.  Best I remember things were confused when both
drives were in place.  Might be worth moving everything over the network
to another box for another backup.

What I don't know is what to do to be able to mount and retrieve the
material off of the old drive.  Mounting the entire volume (best I
remember) turned out to be something of a problem.

Any thoughts?

Dave