On Jun 20, 2011, at 6:33 PM, Mark J. Bailey wrote:

> Bruce, if you have the 'lsof' (list of open files) util on that system,
> you might be able to do some analysis from that perspective that might
> help narrow it down.  Also, if it is lots of small files, what is the
> default block size (and/or minimum allocation) for a file.

I think it is 4k.

> What filesystem?

ext3

> Could the overhead for the filesystem structure with LOTS of
> files be eating up space in the filesystem/inode datastructure?

I don't think so.

>  Wild
> guess, but overhead for such a largely allocated filesystem might account
> for some dark matter.

There was about 500GB available on Friday with the only directory (3T) that is
seeing any significant activity was using 1.5TB. Today the partition is 100%
full but the 3T directory is now only using 1.1TB with all other directories
unchanged since Friday. I don't know what the users have been doing over the
weekend.

Bruce