On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 01:35:45 pm Jack Coats wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com>
wrote:
> > Jack Coats <j...@coats.org> wrote:
> >> My wife is using google apps (finally got our domain updated so email
> >> works), but she
> >> has one issue.  She has a need to pop her email down to 2 machines,
> >> that is all mail
> >> to both machines. (Yes, she understands the issues, and has been doing
> >> this for some
> >> time).
> >>
> >> As we moved over to Google Apps this week, she can pop it down to only
> >> one machine
> >> or the other.  Depending on 'who checks in first' only that one gets
> >> it and the other
> >> machine can't even see the email on the machine.
> >>
> >> Her client is Outlook 2010 on one machine, Outlook 2003 on the other,
> >> and it is at
> >> google.com/a/coats.org
> >>
> >> I have waded through all the google apps settings and client settings
> >> I can stomach, and
> >> need some help.
> >>
> >> Suggestions?
> >
> > You need to use IMAP protocol rather than POP.  IMAP leaves a copy on the
> > server, and syncs the status as well.  If you mark a message as read, or
> > move the message into a folder (an IMAP folder on the server, not a
> > local folder), those changes will be visible on any other machine that
> > uses the same IMAP mailbox.  POP defaults to deleting the message on the
> > server once it has been downloaded to the client.  Even if you set POP
> > to leave messages on the server, reading a message on one machine won"t
> > affect its status on any other machine.
>
> I guess I should see if I could configure IMAP to get the mail from
> the server (that is why we are using POP) onto the machines.  Our
> network being a shared-tin-can-and-wireless-string topology and it is
> not nearly as reliable as a wired connection (or most wireless
> elsewhere), I hesitate to just 'leave it all on the server, and use a
> access it over the 'net' perspective.  Accessing things on the 'net is
> often problematic here on camp.

I would suggest configuring a local (i.e. on campus) IMAP server and use
'slurp' or similar program to pull the messages off the POP server (and
populate the local IMAP server).  Since the messages are then accessed
via IMAP on both client machines, you get all the advantages of using IMAP
without the hassle of needing to maintain a good connection to the Internet.

--
Tilghman