My plan was always to format C: and reload (with something different).
Maybe that is just me.  I hate wasting the time in keeping particularly
those XP boxes running.  There are the Cygwin tools if you want Unix /
Linux tools on a Windows box.  I have no idea if they work on Windows 7
though.  If it is only needing to run a few tools there are Ubuntu
releases and others that you can run off a CD drive without reloading
the box.

As one of our members said 'You moved your mouse please reload.'

You have my sympathy.

Dave