On a re-read, what about a Raspberry Pi in a suitable case?  Saw an
aluminum milled case (think: costs more than the Pi) on adafruit.  I
brought mine up without ever connecting the HDMI, just applied power and
observed what address it was given, then made an SSH connection.  From that
point you've got a nice headless server and if you direct its log traffic
to an external server you aren't quickly wearing out the flash card (if
that's a concern.)

I have a Perl script checking every few seconds the modification timestamp
of the /etc/dhcpd.conf (on my distro, anyway).  When it changes, a restart
of DHCPD takes place.  Pretty much hands-off.

Curt