I once rebooted a Unix server by bumping the protruding reset button with my
knee. The next day, I glued some strips of wood around the button so that it
was now recessed.

ExOn August 4, 2014 12:40:41 PM CDT, Jack Coats <j...@coats.org> wrote:
> First UNIX admin job, logged into server thinking it was the local
> desktop
> and rebooted it.  Lots of egg on the face and lots of wasted end user
> hours.
>
> I took drastic action to triple verify where I was logged in after
> that.
>  Sometimes being a bit OCD is learned by not being OCD enough.
>
> I had also shut down mainframes before that with similar results (a
> few
> times on purpose, a couple of times accidently when working as a
> systems
> programmer in a large IBM shop).  Mainframes had 2000 logged in (about
> 8000
> users in the directory that could log in) and Unix machine only had
> about
> 200 users (it was where their home directories were located over NFS).
>
> Never really got into trouble for it, but I flogged myself more than
> any
> boss ever would over the issue. ... such is life.  We go on.  Company
> survived.
>

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Allen Minix <rmin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:23:47 AM UTC-5, Howard wrote:
> >>

> >> Okay, I'm looking on the wrong server.  Move along, these are not
> the
> >> droids you are looking for.
> >>
> >> Howard
> >>

> > If I had a nickel for every time I've done that...
> >
> > --
> > --
> >
> > ---
> Groups
> > "NLUG" group.
> send an
> > email to nlug-talk+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive
out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.