Thanks to everyone for the comments.
I have decided to rebuild the test server to more closely match the current
production server and be sure to more closely  document any changes on the test
server so that they can be applied to the production server if needed at the
appropriate time. I realized when I saw that test was running CentOS 5.10 and
production was running RHEL 6.5 that this had to change. Initially the test
server was just a "give me a server to play around with as I redesign the web
site layout" as the developers started doing more than simple html/php/perl
stuff something needed to change and we needed to be more serious about this.
In the past the difference between test and production was mostly what folder
www was symlinked to.

Thanks again,

Bruce