I'll second this setup with a few caveats...

Development environment - Developers have non-root access but have freedom
to do most anything with their app.  Often have extra sudo tools they can
use (chmod for example)
Test environment - Developers "release" to the test environment to allow
for correct construction of the release and for testers to work on a
"stable" platform while developers are still fixing bugs and making changes.
QA Environment - Nothing but a "lets test the release process itself"
environment along with a final functionality test environment.
Production - Production, no one but the admin crew have root or elevated
privileges in this environment.  The application support team has elevated,
but not root, privileges.

Code versioning system like SVN or GIT should be used to manage the code.
Build and deployment process should be automated use some tool like Jenkins.
Automated tests should be built and be part of the normal deployment
process to any environment.

If you have a good Build system setup (SVN/GIT + Jenkins + Automated
Testing) you can often do without the QA environment.

Andy