Some good ideas here (multiple sensors (maybe low-power bluetooth) to
detect incoming path vs outgoing path) and some not-so-good-ideas
(implanting sensors inside of my body....)

iOS (and I assume Android as well) have low power background app refresh
(at least this is what Apple calls it) that you can use for geo-location.
It isn't actually using GPS, as that would chew up battery power.  It is a
background process that uses info from WiFi networks, cell towers, etc, to
determine location "passively", so it doesn't chew up a lot of battery
power.

What I got working yesterday was two IFTTT "recipes" to create files in
Google Docs and Dropbox for each time I enter or exit the Watkins area.
That part actually works.  The next step is doing something with that
information (from Google Drive or Dropbox) to launch an action on our VoIP
server.

It still seems kludge-y to me, but I haven't heard a better suggestion that
less power (and is fully automated.)

Chris