I don't understand what integration of an IM client does for this issue?

I could logon to my phone and manually enable and disable forwarding.  It
is very easy to do on our Polycom handsets.

The thing I'm trying to accomplish is a completely automated way of
addressing this, while also having a way to manually override it.  For
instance, I could be working from home one day and want to easily enable my
office phone to forward to my cell phone.  I'm thinking "launch an app from
my cell phone and push a button" easy.

To be completely honest, this is really a "I just want to see if I can do
this and make it reliably work" kind of project.  This isn't
mission-critical or anything; it's just in my head and it seems like I
~should~ be able to make it work.

Chris