There are good reasons to run your own mail server, but they are very
particular situations.  For example, if you're running a law firm, you
might not want Uncle Sam to be able to subpoena your mail provider.
This is a reason for it to be in-house.  And if you're going to do
this, you need to have AT LEAST one person dedicated to the task of
ensuring that server is protected at all times, and that person should
probably be a trained security professional.

If you're doing anything less, you aren't truly concerned enough to
run your own mail server.

Tilghman