I run "OpenElec <http://openelec.tv/>" as dedicated Kodi boxes at my house
for movies, TV and music.  The Raspberry Pi 3 has bluetooth included, so my
Harmony Remotes work with OpenElec over bluetooth (which is more reliable
and faster than IR control).

I've played with a few other things on Raspberry Pi's at home, but this is
what I'm using them for right now and I really like them.

Chris

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Michael L <helpwithmath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I have two Raspberry Pi systems at home and that's what I plan to do
>> (just back them up and replace them when they die.)
>>
>> On a system that isn't do a large number of writes, an SD card should
>> last for a LONG time since reads don't wear a card out.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Bruce Martin <marti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I know that dd is one of those fundamental linux commands that are used
>>> occasionally but like rm need to be used carefully.
>>>
>>> I admit to being a rather “Appliance” operator when it come stop Linux
>>> these days. I use the bistro as it is and usually install only the software
>>> and updates that are part of the distribution. In the past I did download
>>> the source of the latest version of software i wanted to run and compiled
>>> it after tweaking the makefile and sometimes some of the code. These days I
>>> do not do that very much. Lazy? Maybe but the distributions have gotten
>>> better at keeping things reasonably up to date and stable and bleeding edge
>>> is not my forte anymore.
>>>
>>> That being said I have been playing around with Raspberry Pi for the
>>> last few years. I tend to buy two or three of each version as they come
>>> out. I have two deployed for specific Ham radio stuff and am embarking on a
>>> project to help some friends out by setting up some Broadband Speed
>>> monitoring nodes. One of the shortcomings of the Raspberry Pi (RPi) is the
>>> use of SD cards. Even when you are not doing a lot of writing to the card
>>> the life of a card seems to be less than a year or so.
>>>
>>> I have read that the newer SDHC cards incorporate wear leveling much
>>> like an SSD does. With this in mind I want to set up an SD card but only
>>> partition it to use a third or a fourth of the disk space and leave the
>>> rest of the card free and unformatted for wear leveling use.
>>>
>>> My experience, thus far, is that when setting up a card for the RPi the
>>> distribution expands itself to use up the entire card. I want to try
>>> setting things up on an 8GB car. After everything is configured I want to
>>> create an image of the card and then write that image to a 16GB or 32GB
>>> card. Is there a parameter in dd to limit how much of the card is used and
>>> leave the rest as unformatted? Do I need to create the partitions on the
>>> 32GB card and image each partition separately from the 8GB card and write
>>> that image to a specific partition on the 32GB card? Is there some
>>> other/better way to do this?
>>>
>>> I want to try to get to the point of being able to set up a RPi and let
>>> it sit and run for years and not have to redo the card every year. Stories
>>> of servers stuck in closets or left in a wall void during remodeling come
>>> to mind. We had an APRS Igate node at Vanderbilt that ran the better part
>>> of a decade without a purposeful reboot that was running on a floppy drive
>>> distro that Sean Jewett and a few others worked on. I want that kind of
>>> longevity in the RPi nodes I am deploying.

>>> Suggestions?