Some of that depends on your goals for what you want to do with
virtualization. When you ask are there better options than Virtualbox, are
there any particular features you're looking for? Some users may prefer a
feature-rich application with a well designed GUI, ease of use, and a
shallow learning curve. Another user may prefer a lightweight command line
hypervisor that uses less resources. Another user may need something
compatible with what's used in their work environment.
If all you want to do is run a second VM on your laptop as an alternative
to dual booting, it doesn't make a great deal of difference which you use.
I like VMware myself. One of the main reasons being all the support
material available and the VMWare User Group community.I went from
dual-booting to running Virtualbox on my laptop.  I was struggling to find
some answers in the Virtualbox forums when the VMware user group (VMUG)
leaders came and gave a presentation at my school. Now I'm on that same
leadership team myself and looking at virtualization as a career path.
You'll find that there are many prebuilt virtual appliances available for
download and those are usually available for Virtualbox or VMware. VMware's
free player is pretty similar in features and interface to Virtualbox.
If you want to virtualize more than just one more VM on a laptop, say get
into virtualizing servers or even virtualizing network gear like firewalls
and switches, you could go with options like VMware, OpenStack, or Hyper-V.
Hope that helps,
Vincent