From: Watson, Keith R.
Date: Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 11:09 AM
Subject: [Dc404-Chat] How to build your own CTF challenge box and CTF
training
To: "dc404-c...@lists.kaos.to" <dc404-c...@lists.kaos.to>

We (brimstone and I) have been running NetKotH at DC404 and atl2600
meetings since the end of last year.

The most common question we get is, "how do I build my own CTF challenge
box?" That's not the exact wording but an amalgamation of all the questions.

So I'm going to put together a DC404 presentation on the basics of building
a CTF challenge box.

Do you all want to do this before or after DEFCON?

I plan to make this like an install fest/demo.

I'll post the information in advance on what you will need to bring. If you
can do most of the preparation in advanced this would be great and if you
get stuck bring your machine and questions.

The idea would to install VirtualBox, a Kali Linux VM, and one challenge
box (probably Metasploitable2).

I also asked if the group was interested in CTF training. The overwhelming
answer was yes but not to take up all the meeting time.

It seems the best solution would be to do some short
presentations/demonstrations using the CTF Challenge Box to go over each
step of an attack:

Reconnaissance
Scanning
Exploitation
Keeping Access
Covering Tracks

This will get people started.

I'm also considering doing one or more longer training sessions outside of
the meeting.

The issues to be resolved:

1. What day of the week
2. How many sessions
3. How often
4. Physical or virtual meeting or a combination of the two
5. Where to meet
6. I'll need help with this from experienced pentesters/CTF participants

What do you all think?

keith

--

Keith R. Watson GCIH                   Georgia Institute of Technology
Information Security Engineer Lead     College of Computing