C++ is not frightening, in fact modern C++ is pretty tame. The problem is
that all of these projects (KDE, Gnome) are old enough that their codebase
is very large and they carry a lot of technical debt. I still fear these
less than the current trendy framework (which is changing like every 5
years). So if someone builds a castle from shit based on JavaScript I trust
that less all day every day vs a GNOME or KDE even though they are old
codebase. Because I know that a shit castle will lead to a disaster sooner
or later.
I have to tell though I never wrote a desktop app for KDE / Qt or GNOME (I
believe you are dealing with C there instead of C++?) but have wrote app
against plain X decades ago. So from desktop developer perspective they
could be very well painful.