Unplugging/replugging and trying a different port did not help. I did not
see if there would be any difference plugging it into the front instead of
the back. A reboot did not help (seeing that it didn't respond at all under
Windows regardless of what was running.) I did not try a different mouse
though. The keyboard does continue to function, and is how I continued
using it till I'd get fed up. Yes, it won't happen until we forget about it.