Mats, Nick, and NMusers,

When Stu Beal was first thinking about reporting out a p-value for ETABAR I
know he was conflicted because he knew that the statistical properties of
the test were probably never likely to be met.  A couple of statistical
properties that are probably not met that haven't been mentioned are:

1) the assumption of independence, and
2) that the individual ETA predictions have constant variance.

The first is not likely to be met because the empirical Bayes predictions of
the ETAs from one individual to the next are correlated because they all
depend on the same set of population parameter estimates.  The second is not
met because the precision of the ETA predictions is not constant especially
when there are differences in the number of observations within each
individual.

The p-value, ETABAR, ETA plots, residual plots, COV step output, etc. are
all imperfect diagnostics...often they can be useful but they can also be
misleading. We need to use them cautiously recognizing their limitations and
as Nick has suggested use simulation methods to more fully evaluate our
models.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth G. Kowalski
President & CEO
A2PG - Ann Arbor Pharmacometrics Group, Inc.
110 E. Miller Ave., Garden Suite
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Work:  734-274-8255
Cell:  248-207-5082