Jakob, Mats,

Thanks very much for your careful explanations of how asymmetric EBE distributions can arise. That is very helpful for my understanding.

Xia,

I am intrigued by your suggestion for how to estimate and account for the bias in the mean of the EBE distribution.

In the usual ETA on EPS model I might write:

; SD of residual error for mixed proportional and additive random effects
PROP=THETA(1)*F
ADD=THETA(2)
SD=SQRT(PROP*PROP + ADD*ADD)
Y=F + EPS(1)*SD*EXP(ETA(1))

where EPS(1) is distributed mean zero, variance 1 FIXED
and ETA(1) is the between subject random effect for residual error

You seem to be suggesting:
ETABAR=THETA(3)
Y=F + EPS(1)*SD*EXP(ETA(1)) * ETABAR*EXP(ETA(2))

It seems to me that the variance of ETA(1) will be confounded with the variance of ETA(2). Would you please explain more clearly (with an explicit NM-TRAN code fragment if possible) what you are suggesting?

Best wishes,

Nick

Xia Li wrote:
Hi Jakob,
Thank you very much for the information adding an "eta on epsilon". This is
what I did in my research and I am glad to see people in Pharmacometrics is
using it.

And in Bayesian analysis, adding one more stage for ETA, i.e
ETA=ETABAR*exp(eta2), eta2~N(0,omega2) will allow the deviation from zero
and shrinkage of ETA.

Again, thanks all for your input.:)

Best Regards,
Xia
Xia Li
Mathematical Science Department
University of Cincinnati

--
Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, 85 Park Rd, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand