From: owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com [mailto:owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com]
On Behalf Of Nick Holford
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 4:44 PM
To: nmusers
Subject: Re: [NMusers] Linear VS LTBS

Leonid,

You are once again ignoring the actual evidence that NONMEM VI will fail

to converge or not complete the covariance step more or less at random.
If you bootstrap simulated data in which the model is known and not
overparameterised it has been shown repeatedly that NONMEM VI will
sometimes converge and do the covariance step and sometimes fail to
converge.

Of course, I agree that overparameterisation could be a cause of
convergence problems but I would not agree that this is often the
reason.

Bob Bauer has made efforts in NONMEM 7 to try to fix the random
termination behaviour and covariance step problems by providing
additional control over numerical tolerances. It remains to be seen by
direct experiment if NONMEM 7 is indeed less random than NONMEM VI.

BTW in this discussion about LTBS I think it is important to point out
that the only systematic study I know of comparing LTBS with
untransformed models was the one you reported at the 2008 PAGE meeting
(www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=1268). My understanding of your results
was that there was no clear advantage of LTBS if INTER was used with
non-transformed data:
"Models with exponential residual error presented in the log-transformed

variables
performed similar to the ones fitted in original variables with INTER
option. For problems with
residual variability exceeding 40%, use of INTER option or
log-transformation was necessary to
obtain unbiased estimates of inter- and intra-subject variability."

Do you know of any other systematic studies comparing LTBS with no
transformation?

Nick

Leonid Gibiansky wrote:
> [...]
>
> For random effect with a very large RSE on the variance, I would try
> to remove it and see what happens with the model: often, this (high
> RSE) is the indication that the error effect is not needed.
>
> Also, try combined error model (on log-transformed variables):
>
>   W1=SQRT(THETA(...)/IPRED**2+THETA(...))
>   Y  = LOG(IPRED) + W1*EPS(1)
>

> $SIGMA
>  1 FIXED
>

> Why concentrations were on LOQ? Was it because BQLs were inserted as
> LOQ? Then this is not a good idea.
> Thanks
> Leonid
>

> --------------------------------------
> Leonid Gibiansky, Ph.D.
> President, QuantPharm LLC
> web:    www.quantpharm.com
> e-mail: LGibiansky at quantpharm.com
> tel:    (301) 767 5566
>

> Indranil Bhattacharya wrote:
>> Hi Joachim, thanks for your suggestions/comments.
>>
>> When using LTBS I had used a different error model and the error
>> block is shown below
>> $ERROR
>> IPRED = -5
>> IF (F.GT.0) IPRED = LOG(F) ;log transforming predicition
>> IRES=DV-IPRED
>> W=1
>> IWRES=IRES/W ;Uniform Weighting
>> Y = IPRED + ERR(1)
>>
>> I also performed bootsrap on both LTBS and non-LTBS models and the
>> non-LTBS CI were much more tighter and the precision was greater than

>> non-LTBS.
>> I think the problem plausibly is with the fact that when fitting the
>> non-transformed data I have used the proportional + additive model
>> while using LTBS the exponential model (which converts to additional
>> model due to LTBS) was used. The extra additive component also may be

>> more important in the non-LTBS model as for some subjects the
>> concentrations were right on LOQ.
>>
>> I tried the dual error model for LTBS but does not provide a CV%. So
>> I am currently running a bootstrap to get the CI when using the dual
>> error model with LTBS.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Grevel, Joachim
>> <joachim.gre...@astrazeneca.com
>> <mailto:joachim.gre...@astrazeneca.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Neil,
>>          1. When data are log-transformed the $ERROR block has to
>> change:
>>     additive error becomes true exponential error which cannot be
>>     achieved without log-transformation (Nick, correct me if I am
>> wrong).
>>          2. Error cannot "go away". You claim your structural model
>> (THs)
>>     remained unchanged. Therefore the "amount" of error will remain
the
>>     same as well. If you reduce BSV you may have to "pay" for it with
>>     increased residual variability.
>>          3. Confidence intervals of ETAs based on standard errors
>> produced
>>     during the covariance step are unreliable (many threads in
NMusers).
>>     Do bootstrap to obtain more reliable C.I..
>>          These are my five cents worth of thought in the early
morning,
>>          Good luck,
>>          Joachim

>>     AstraZeneca UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and
>>     Wales with registered number: 03674842 and a registered office at
15
>>     Stanhope Gate, London W1K 1LN.
>>
>>     *Confidentiality Notice: *This message is private and may contain
>>     confidential, proprietary and legally privileged information. If
you
>>     have received this message in error, please notify us and remove
it
>>     from your system and note that you must not copy, distribute or
take
>>     any action in reliance on it. Any unauthorised use or disclosure
of
>>     the contents of this message is not permitted and may be
unlawful.

>>     *Disclaimer:* Email messages may be subject to delays,
interception,
>>     non-delivery and unauthorised alterations. Therefore, information
>>     expressed in this message is not given or endorsed by AstraZeneca
UK
>>     Limited unless otherwise notified by an authorised representative
>>     independent of this message. No contractual relationship is
created
>>     by this message by any person unless specifically indicated by
>>     agreement in writing other than email.
>>
>>     *Monitoring: *AstraZeneca UK Limited may monitor email traffic
data
>>     and content for the purposes of the prevention and detection of
>>     crime, ensuring the security of our computer systems and checking
>>     compliance with our Code of Conduct and policies.

LTBS?

--
Nick Holford, Professor Clinical Pharmacology
Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology

ICON plc made the following annotations.
This e-mail transmission may contain confidential or legally privileged
information
that is intended only for the individual or entity named in the e-mail address.
If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying,
distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the
sender, so that
ICON plc can arrange for proper delivery, and then please delete the message.
Thank You,
ICON plc
South County Business Park
Leopardstown