Joachim,

Thanks for your proposal to make our lives as PK modellers even more challenging :-)

I have indeed thought of the idea of just trying to get the raw measurement data e.g. absorbance, and including a 'standard curve' model in addition to the PK model. But there are practical problems -- not least of which (as Marc Sale describes) is persuading the chemical analysts to report their data honestly. It is very hard to persuade them to understand that their measurements should not be deliberately contaminated by censoring -- see Ed Connor's "sense and nonsense" posting which shows he continues to miss the point after years of battling with me and Roger Jelliffe on PharmPK.

Any simultaneous modelling approach runs the risk of model misspecification (see Liping Zhang's paper Zhang L, Beal SL, Sheiner LB. Simultaneous vs. sequential analysis for population PK/PD data II: robustness of methods. J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn. 2003;30(6):405-16.) so I think I would want to at least start with a sequential analysis if I was ever in a position to try a PH-PK model (PH=Peak height).

If the chemical analysts can be persuaded to provide uncensored observations (there is nothing stopping them except tradition and mis-interpretaton of regulatory guidances by regulatory policemen and others) then it could make PK modelling more reliable. While it is possible to deal with censored data this is still less informative than actually having the data.

Nick

Grevel, Joachim wrote:
Dear all,

I am thinking back to early days of pharmacodynamics. The clinical people would report to us
"early" modellers response data in the form of percent change from baseline. Very soon we asked for
the raw data rejecting their "model" of generating response data as being subjective and biased
(how was that "baseline" established?).

It was Nick among others who rejected any delivered baseline. He insisted that the model
"will tell us the baseline and its error". I somehow hear Nick telling us
something similar about bioanalytical data: Do not truncate the data by some criterion
established months (years) before the actual measurement. Give us the raw data and let us
find the error in it.

Perhaps it is indeed time to rethink the ideas of validated methods and
standard curves. Couldn't the standard curve be part of our modelling, and
couldn't the error in the standard curve be integrated into the error structure
for our PK (PKPD) model?

I have a feeling that our current practice may have all the flaws we found years ago in the "two-stage" PK modelling approach. We gave up on the two-stage approach because it did not describe variability correctly. (Mats, there were "millions" of two-stage analyses published and in submissions... and in the end we gave it up for something we had learned was better).
It will take a lot of theoretical work to make the case for an integrated
bioanalytical-pharmacokinetic analysis. Nick, are you already working along
these lines?

Good luck to all,

Joachim

AstraZeneca UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with
registered number: 03674842 and a registered office at 15 Stanhope Gate, London
W1K 1LN.
Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain confidential,
proprietary and legally privileged information. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system and note that
you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Any
unauthorised use or disclosure of the contents of this message is not permitted
and may be unlawful.
Disclaimer: Email messages may be subject to delays, interception, non-delivery
and unauthorised alterations. Therefore, information expressed in this message
is not given or endorsed by AstraZeneca UK Limited unless otherwise notified by
an authorised representative independent of this message. No contractual
relationship is created by this message by any person unless specifically
indicated by agreement in writing other than email.
Monitoring: AstraZeneca UK Limited may monitor email traffic data and content
for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, ensuring the
security of our computer systems and checking Compliance with our Code of
Conduct and Policies.