Dear Ethan,

There may be two aspects to your question, one is on the
assumptions of the algorithm and software implementation
and one on the use of the models as described by Nick.

To my knowledge, the EM algorithm (e.g. MC-PEM) assumes that the
etas are multivariate normally distributed. As described in Bob's paper [1]
and the underlying theoretical algorithm development work from
Alan Schumitzky [2] and others, the EM algorithm obtains the
maximum likelihood estimates for the population means and the
variance-covariance matrix by calculating the average of the conditional
means and the conditional var-cov matrices of the individual subjects
(see equations 21 and 22 in [1]). These equations assume that the
parameter population density h(theta | mu, Omega) is multivariate
normal. The residual error does not need to follow a normal distribution
(see page E64 in Bob's paper [1]).

Most of the applications of a model are based on simulations
which usually explicitly assume a multivariate normal distribution
(or some transformation thereof). Therefore, it seems fair to say
that for parametric population PK models, most of the inferences
are based on the assumption of a multivariate normal distribution
of the "etas" at one or more stages. We rarely have enough subjects
to assess the appropriateness of this assumption.

You would have to go to a full nonparametric algorithm such as
NPML, NPAG or Bob Leary's new method in Phoenix to not assume
a normal distribution of the "etas".

Best wishes
Juergen

[1] Bauer RJ, Guzy S, Ng C. AAPS J. 2007;9:E60-83.
[2] Schumitzky A . EM algorithms and two stage methods in
pharmacokinetics population analysis. In: D'Argenio DZ , ed. Advanced
Methods of Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Systems Analysis.
vol. 2. Boston, MA : Kluwer Academic Publishers ; 1995 :145- 160.