Dear Douglas and all,

We always have some knowledge about our parameter distribution. It comes from
two sources: prior information and the data, under the model. Prior information
almost always tell us that parameters must be non-normally distributed. That’s
why we enforce different types of fixed transformations. Usually exponential
transformation for parameters that has to be non-negative and logit
transformation for fractions and probabilities. We then often have introduced
what prior knowledge we have regarding the shape of the distribution. However,
also our data contain information about the parameter distribution under the
model we choose and one distribution may describe data better than another. We
can explore this by choosing different fixed transformation. We may also allow
the data to speak to the shape of the distribution as part of the estimation
process. The latter approach was introduced into our field by Davidian&Gallant
(J Pharmacokinet Biopharm. 1992 Oct;20(5):529-56) using polynomials and a
specialized software. We recently explored other transformation that could be
easily introduced into NONMEM and other standard programs (Petersson et al.,
Pharm Res. 2009 Sep;26(9):2174-85). If you want to explore deviations from
normality under your fixed transformation, these semi-parametric* methods may
be a good alternative. Below is code for  a simple box-cox transformation on
top of a fixed exponential transformation. Positive values of SHP indicates
right-skewed distribution (compared to a exponential transformation), negative
a left-skewed. If the transformation offers no improvement in fit over an
exponential distribution, the goodness-of-fit will be similar to that of a
simpler model (CL=THETA(1)*EXP(ETA(1))).

SHP         = THETA(2)

TETA        = ((EXP(ETA(1))**SHP-1)/SHP

CL           = THETA(1)*EXP(TETA)

(Semi-parametric is the traditionally used word for these methods, it probably
comes from the fact that it lies between the standard parametric methods where
the shape is prescribed by the model, and non-parametric methods where very
little distributional assumption is being made. Semi-parametric methods are
essentially parametric but parameters are estimated that relates not just the
magnitude, but also the shape of the distribution.)

Best regards,

Mats

Mats Karlsson, PhD

Professor of Pharmacometrics