Leonid Gibiansky, Ph.D.
President, QuantPharm LLC
web:    www.quantpharm.com
e-mail: LGibiansky at quantpharm.com
tel:    (301) 767 5566

On 11/23/2012 11:08 AM, pascal.gir...@merckgroup.com wrote:
Dear NM-User community,

I have a model with 2 differential equations and I use ADVAN6 TOL=5. In
$DES, I am using T the continuous time variable. The run converges, $COV
is OK, and the model gives a reasonable fit. In order to compute some
statistics which cannot be obtained analytically, I need to compute
individual predictions based on individual POSTHOC parameters and an
extended grid of time for interpolating the observed times.

So I have
1) added to my original dataset extra points regularly spaced with
MDV=1. To give you an idea, my average observation time is 25, with a
range going from 5 to 160. So my grid was set so that I have a dummy
observation every 1 unit of time.
2) rerun my model using $MSFI to initialize the pop parameters, with
MAXEVAL=0 and POSTHOC options so that individual empirical Bayes
estimates (EBE) parameters for each patient would be first re-estimated,
then the prediction would be computed.

Then I
3)  checked that my new predictions computed from the extended dataset
match the predictions of the original dataset at observed time points. I
had the surprise to see that for some individuals those predictions
match, for some others they slightly diverge, and for few others they
are dramatically different. I checked the EBEs and they were clearly
different between the original dataset and the one with the dummy points.
4) I decided to redo the grid with only one dummy point every 1/4 of
time unit. The result was less dramatic, but still for most of my
individuals the EBEs predictions were diverging from the original ones
computed without the dummy times.

Of course the solution for me is to estimate the EBEs from the original
dataset, export them in a table and reread them to initialize the
parameter of my individuals using only dummy time points and no
observations.

This problem reminds me something that was discussed previously on
nm-user, but I could not recover the source in the archive.

Anyway is this something known and predictable that when adding dummy
points with MDV=1 to your original dataset you sometimes get very
different EBEs ? Are there cases/models/ADVAN  where the problem is
likely to happen? Is their a way to fix it it in NONMEM other than the
trick I used?

Thanks for your replies!

Kind regards,

Pascal Girard, PhD
pascal.gir...@merckgroup.com
Head of Modeling & Simulation - Oncology
Global Exploratory Medicine
Merck Serono S.A. ยท Geneva
Tel:  +41.22.414.3549
Cell: +41.79.508.7898

This message and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the
contents to any other person. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and
any attachment from your system. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany and any
of its subsidiaries do not accept liability for any omissions or errors
in this message which may arise as a result of E-Mail-transmission or
for damages resulting from any unauthorized changes of the content of
this message and any attachment thereto. Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
and any of its subsidiaries do not guarantee that this message is free
of viruses and does not accept liability for any damages caused by any
virus transmitted therewith.

Click _http://www.merckgroup.com/disclaimer_to access the German,
French, Spanish and Portuguese versions of this disclaimer.