Hello Jacob,

It is the best to have fully-mechanistic model.  Unfortunately, we rarely have the data to build such model.  So, approximations are needed.  In case we have the data, we know how to build the model; we understand the mechanisms.

An effect compartment model does not work.

It is a case when return back to baseline is very slow (or even not observed) and/or extremely variable.  There are no both data and time to build a comprehensive, beautiful and fully-mechanistic model.  A pragmatic and working model is needed.  Such pragmatic model already exist, but it needs touch paint to account for additional data, which may arrive.

The email from Robert provides an excellent introduction (accounts for scipped doses + very nonliner PK and eventual return to baseline).  It is somewhat bulky because it almost doubles the number of differential equations, but it is much better than nothing.  Eventually, a more elegant solution will be implemented.

We are not perfect, but we are moving there!  Science is moving to that exponential explosion of our knowledge, which is descrived by soome futurists.  Stay tuned.

Kind regards,

Pavel

Hello Jacob,

Someone genious just helped me.  Tlag can be used.  How did I miss such simple solution?

I was talking about multiple doses.  There are cases AUC is better predictor than concentration (for example, long duration of treatment is needed; very slow but good drug effect), but when it comes to multiople doses, it does not work well because it is necessary to predict drug withdrawal.   If "moving average"-like approach is used, the drug effect disappears slowly, which can be the case.

Of course this approach has to tested for some unexpected results and adjusted if possible.

Thanks,

Pavel

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 07:49 AM, Ribbing, Jakob wrote:

Hi Pavel,

I agree with you it is not uncommon to have AUC drive efficacy or safety endpoints.

However, you seem to have the impression this is commonly done using cumulative AUC and I can assure you that is rarely the case.

I have only seen that for safety endpoints where it has been justified (treatment is limited to a few cycles due to accumulation of side effect which for practical purposes can be regarded as irreversible).

Even for cases where treatment/disease is completely curative it is not a standard approach to use cumulative AUC to drive efficacy (e.g. antibiotics, where infection may be eradicated, but the bacterial-killing effect wears off after the drug has been eliminated; so even if disease does not come back the actual drug effect has worn off).

At steady state multiple dosing, AUC over a dosing interval (or Cav,ss) can sometimes be used to drive steady-state efficacy or safety.

However, it seems in your case you have fluctuations in drug response even at steady state?

Otherwise, this AUC can be expressed as an analytical solution or added as an input variable in your dataset, in case you are concerned about run times.

But with that approach you would not see a fluctuation in drug response at steady state, so in your case maybe better to use concentrations to drive efficacy?

For a “moving average” it would sometimes be possible to calculate AUC analytically.

However, a moving average AUC would rarely be a mechanistic description of effect delay. Leonid provide one possible solution (like an effect compartment).

However, there are many alternatives and it is not possible to say which is the best in your specific case(s), without more information, e.g.

·         Are you thinking about single dose, multiple dosing, and in the latter case is it sufficient to describe your endpoint at stead state?

·         And is the effect appearing with great delay over many days/weeks or it rather fluctuates with fluctuating concentrations? (e.g. at multiple dosing for a low dose, do you have fluctuations over a dosing interval in your efficacy endpoint that are due fluctuations in PK, i.e. aside from any circadian variation?)

·         Does a higher dose reach its efficacy-steady state faster than a lower dose (time to efficacy-steady state; not the level of response which should be different)?

·         What is the mechanisms for effect delay (i.e. the delay in on and offset of effect that is not due to accumulation of PK at start of treatment)

Are you aware of the standard models for effect delay that one would commonly consider and why did you dismiss these?

Best regards

Jakob