From: Matthew Fidler [mailto:matthew.fid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2022 7:04 PM
To: Ken Kowalski <kgkowalsk...@gmail.com>
Cc: Kyun-Seop Bae <kyunseop....@gmail.com>; nmusers@globomaxnm.com; Jeroen
Elassaiss-Schaap (PD-value B.V.) <jer...@pd-value.com>
Subject: Re: [NMusers] Condition number

Hi Ken & Kyun-Seop,

I agree it should be taught, since it is prevalent in the industry, and should
be looked at as something to investigate further, but no hard and fast rule
should be applied to if the model is reasonable and fit for purpose.  That
should be done in conjunction with other diagnostic plots.

One thing that has always bothered me about the condition number is that it is
calculated based on the final parameter estimates, but not the scaled parameter
estimates.  Truly the scaling is supposed to help make the gradient on a
comparable scale and fix many numerical problems here.  Hence, if the scaling
works as it is supposed to,  small changes may not affect the colinearity as
strongly as the calculated condition number suggests.

This is mainly why I see it as a number to keep in mind instead of a hard and
fast rule.

Matt

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 5:09 PM Ken Kowalski <kgkowalsk...@gmail.com