Daniel,
You're not alone.  I feel your pain.  I've spent the past few days
working on getting mine right, I've watched every video 2-3 times and
read and sometimes re-read the great articles.  Also searched through

Start by making sure nothing is allocated from your checking/savings/
business accounts.  Your salary bucket should be zero.  If it's not,
then there is something somewhere that is either drawing or adding to
that bucket.  You have to find it.
If it is zero, then Assign only the credits (income) or your initial
balance transaction from one of the accounts (your example $500) to
the salary bucket.  You should see $500 reflected in that bucket.
Repeat for the other 2 accounts the same way.

Hope this helps.  I'm really a newbie.  I hope this is the right way
to do it, but it seems like this worked for me.

Tony