On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:12 AM, James Howe <ja...@howeswho.co.uk> wrote:

> Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but why do you need a special API for
> Do-Work-After-Run-To-Completion? Can that not be achieved just with normal
> program flow-control (i.e. do the work, do the thing after the work,
> return)?

No.  It's impossible to do anything after returning using normal
control-flow.  A perfect example is a function that returns an event
emitter.  The code that attaches event listeners to the emitter *can't*
attach listeners till you return the emitter.  But there are times that you
want to emit events as soon as possible.  nextTick tells node to call your
function after your caller returns and the whole stack unwinds.

> Further to my assumptions (and experience) about what nextTick does, it
> seemed obvious to me that you need to set the handlers before you returned
> from the stack to avoid missing data events. Setting them before returning
> doesn't cause any problems, as those events can't be processed until you've
> returned anyway.
>
> And to Mikeal, I have quite sizeable projects that would go wrong if
> nextTick semantics are changed (and we don't find some way to fix them) but
> haven't posted examples because they are a) sizeable, b) closed-source and
> c) I don't have time.

Are you cases where you depend on the current implementation of nextTick
easy to work around?  I know I have tons of code that depends on the
current behavior, but in every case I could modify my code to not depend on
the behavior.

Everyone, please read the thread in the gist that Isaac posted.  There are
several proposed new APIs that make it possible to do low-priority work
that doesn't starve/block the event loop.