Mikeal, I understand your frustration, but that's not how I read the
history. nextTick was *intended* for this use case. But it sounds like it
was the wrong solution. nextTick was implemented as "yield to the event
loop for whatever else may happen". It's always been pretty clear to me
that some early data events may get through this gap. The fact that you
didn't actually want this doesn't mean there's a bug in nextTick. It means
you screwed up. It means there's a bug in node because you took a valid
nextTick implementation and used it for the wrong thing. It means you need
another solution to solve your original problem. I thought that's why we
started talking about setImmediate.

As for whether it's valid to use nextTick or setTimeout or whatever to
break up computation, that's not your call. People have been doing this in
javascript for ages. Node can provide a "better" solution, but crippling
current valid solutions is not really acceptable for a platform that claims
to want to be simple and consistent and just javascript. IMO,
cluster/child_process is for scaling request throughput for servers. It has
little to do with breaking up computation though it can be used for that.
This is not my impression, but one I got from you and Isaac and other node
people when it was being designed. It feels like what's happening now, is
that you're changing that tune so you can push this change forward. But
whatever.

You know if you're going to get upset when you receive honest, constructive
feedback that you requested from actual users of your software, you should
probably consider just not asking.

:Marco