If you run it with "nice" to lower the cpu priority you should have no
problem.  We are doing the exact same thing with imageMagick and ffmpeg.
 We aren't in production yet but it looks good in testing.  With a lot of
conversions running the cpu pegs at hundred percent, but the pages serve
fast anyway.