I think this is a good example for, that haziness of performance
optimization in a script language like JS. What may be efficient to
the engine today, might not so be in future and vice verca. We'll just
have to live with it.

I remember the older days of JS, where JS-engines were so slow,
anything you could possible offload to native code was a gazillion
times faster, even if it would be ridiculously more complicated done
there. I used to write some calculations by changing them to string
and doing some crazy regexps, since regexp engine was way faster than
JS. Or I daresay the most efficient way for deep cloning was
JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(obj)); Likely, not so today. Or before the
V8 came around with its hidden classes, some design decissions where
more taste than performance to cater for them.

Overall, albeit I'd like to have a good link for V8 optimizations,
tons of micro-optimizations hardly make you happy nor improve your app
significantly, most profiles I ran on projects on mine, the first
result was quite a surprise to me where 80% of the time is actually
burned.