Very interesting. I just had a bit longer read of their website and
paper than I wanted, and it looks like they are only beating Redis/
Mongo/Cassandra in a cluster config, and only because of a new Cluster
hashing/addressing technique.

This Slashdot comment seems to suggest that as well:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2686615&cid=39128091

And another one that stood out to me (single point of failure):
http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2686615&cid=39128435

Anyway, the thing is pretty cool as it is.

Imagine using the Locality sensitive hashing[1] to address a
distributed cluster of Nodes (with capital N), where each Node.js (or
local cluster of Nodes.js) would be using the in-process/intrinsic
datastore based on the Fast Multicore Key-Value paper[2]. Cluster
logic, query algorithms, configuration, web-service APIs, monitoring
tools, etc. would be left as a tasty prey to the hungry packs of JS
coder wolves of the Node.js community:) I think the idea is shaping up
nicely here.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locality-sensitive_hashing
[2] http://read.seas.harvard.edu/~kohler/pubs/mao12cache.pdf