On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Thom Blake <thethombl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 3:57 pm, Dean Landolt <d...@deanlandolt.com> wrote:
> > > Besides, emacs would kindly have underlined that bit in red for me.
> > > (and turned yellow any globals)
> >
> > That's called a "linter" ;)
>
> Funny, I would have just called it a properly-functioning code
> editor.  Besides, the first one is a syntax error - aren't linters for
> catching things less obvious than syntax errors?

Linting tools are for static analysis -- static meaning it can be applied
at design time (e.g. in your editor), not runtime. Yes, the vm will catch
syntax errors at runtime but what's the point of delaying the inevitable if
you're already parsing the AST to lint.

But just so you know this isn't a syntax error. It's a perfectly legal
array hole, and could introduce all kinds of insidious, nearly invisible
bugs -- a treasure trove of jswtf. And I bet that for an array with a
number of items these kind of holes wouldn't be nearly as visible as you
imply. Amusingly one of the main arguments *for* comma-first is that it's
much harder to see things on the end of a line than the beginning. But this
is all subjective, and it's not worth fighting over. But it's important to
note that this array hole issue *is* a problem comma-first is subject to
that comma-last isn't.

But I'm not trying to get into a style guide pissing match -- I was just
trying to point out another subtle advantage of linters, especially if you
practice comma-first.

(FWIW I haven't bothered to configure my editor to lint for me -- I should
probably do that :)

> I'm terribly confused when people say they let stuff like that into
> production - "What, you weren't notified of the error as soon as you
> typed it?"

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't typically use a linter but when I use
an editor that has this built in I do find it helpful. I've just been too
lazy to bother configuring my typical editor (Sublime Text 2) w/ this
functionality.